Friday, February 22, 2008

From the Früvous quill

Kind of at a loss as to what to post today, just because my head is swimming with all the lovely homework I have to do tonight, ugh. Maybe I'll make Fridays a thing where I post something that most people haven't heard. Help me come up with a clever name, someone! :)

OK, well, when I was in my early 20s, my brother's friend Matt was in college and discovering the joys of a campus T1 internet connection - and Napster/Morpheus/Kazaa/Limewire/etc. In his neverending search for things to download, he happened across a song called "King of Spain" by a Canadian band called Moxy Früvous. He then commenced to download ALL the Früvous songs he could get his hands on, and somehow or another I heard a couple and decided that I liked them. So he passed on the ones he had, and over time I purchased the ones I was lacking.

Such a great band, that I'm sure gets labelled "quirky" and "geek rock" a lot, but they're really more "nerd folk"? Kind of in the Jonathan Coulton, They Might Be Giants, DaVinci's Notebook, Paul & Storm vein, I guess. I don't know how to describe them (this goes back to that whole me-not-having-the-musical-vocabulary thing, see?).

Anyway, of COURSE, as always happens with me, when I got REALLY into them, I found out that they were on permanent hiatus. :( So there would be no live Früvous shows for me. (PSST-You guys could reunite ANY TIME NOW, I'm just sayin'.)

So here's a rare track from them, from their demo cassette (due to obvious legal issues, it never made it onto an album).

Moxy Früvous - Green Eggs & Ham

Check out the entire Früvous catalog on Amazon

2 comments:

Trampas said...

Ok. I clicked on your name on JoCo's site because it's giggleloop, and as a huge Coupling fan (I used to be CaravanShaker) I had to see what you were all about. THEN... the first thing I see on your page is a line from a Moxy Fruvous song! I don't know who you are, or where you come from, but you need to be my dear sweet friend!

Giggleloop said...

Awesome! Welcome over! (I'm trying to check your blog out, but it's saying unavailable?) You're my first new visitor! :)