Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I know the last page so well, I can't read the first...

Well, I figure I should go ahead and start this whole daily posting thing now, since my husband is off work tonight, which means I most likely won't get anywhere near the computer when I get home.

So much pressure to choose a good song to kick us off! I suppose I can start things off with a little Nada Surf, since that's what's in my head right at the moment.

My knowledge of Nada Surf prior to a couple of years ago, was limited only to having heard "Popular" on the local alternative radio station when I was in high school. If it weren't for How I Met Your Mother, that most likely would have been the sum total of my Nada Surf learnings. But thanks to my love of Alyson Hannigan, I started watching HIMYM from the first episode, and loved it. And a few episodes in, there was a scene with Ted and Robin on a rooftop, and the most beautiful song was playing, I was hooked. After it was over, I hopped onto Google and chased down the lyrics, "I want to know what it's like, on the inside of love; Standing at the gates, I see the beauty above."

Turns out it was, appropriately enough, "Inside of Love", from their album Let Go. I downloaded the song off iTunes that night, and after quite a few listenings, decided to search for them the next time I was in Vintage Vinyl. I found Let Go and bought it - and was happy to find that I loved all the other songs just as much. And just by happenstance, they were playing here in town the next month. I went to the show and had a great time, and picked up their latest record (at the time), The Weight Is A Gift. Loved it as well, by the way. I've also acquired their earlier efforts High/Low and The Proximity Effect, but I confess I haven't really given them too much of a listen.

Anyway, on to today's selection. Nada Surf have recently released a new album, Lucky, which I'm really liking thus far. This was the first song I heard from it, and it instantly took me back to 3 years ago and hearing them for the first time. For me, Nada Surf will always be about driving through Forest Park in the summertime with the windows down, soaking in the sun and warm smooth guitars. Good times.

Nada Surf - Weightless

Download Lucky from Amazon

No comments: